Friday, October 5, 2007

Thank You For Your Prayers





I didn't add this to my online journal until I found out the biopsy results. I also didn't have time to let some of you know because of the fast pace of events that took place. But I am well and very thankful to God for allowing me to enjoy more sunshines with all of you!

Last September 28, I had to undergo surgical biopsy. You see, I've been monitoring and doing self breast exams for about 4 years now. On my latest breast ultrasound, the doctors found multiple lesions on both breasts. One of the solid nodules on my right breast was pinpointed as a candidate for biopsy because of its irregular shape. It was a bit scary because we didn't know what to expect in the beginning. Alfred and I called my dad first. I told him about the findings, he kept his cool but I heard a worried tone in his voice when I was telling him the details of my sonomammogram. During that phone conversation he was more of a dad, not a topnotch physician. My dad's a urosurgeon, because my condition is not his line of expertise he immediately hooked me up with his colleague, Dr.Michael Liquete. After several consultations + numerous discussions with the doctors I decided to have the mass removed. Better to know what it is rather than not knowing and having this nagging feeling inside me. We have a family history of breast CA. I have an aunt and a grandmother who both have DCIS. According to my research, having a family history ups ones chances of having cancer by 40%. This made me even more determined to have the biopsy done. The physical scars don't really matter to me. A week before the procedure I was lined up for a breast mammogram to get a clearer picture of the growths. Let me just say that it was very uncomfortable! (at least I don't have to do that again till I reach 35)

Last friday morning right before the procedure, the doctors had a mini conference and decided to remove 2 more growths on the same breast (w/c are both more than 2cm). They discussed it with me and I agreed to it after they answered my 1 million questions. The surgery went very well. I was really happy to have Alfred and my dad at my side during that day. My doctors, Dr. Liquete, Dr, Banaag, Dr. Uy, and the nurses at the NKTI took really good care of me. They had to make me sleep during the procedure (what a trip!). That was my first time to be operated on and confined in a hospital! But I felt very relaxed before the procedure, achy-loopy-drowsy-but hungry afterwards. For those who were able to visit me while I was confined- grazie mille! Thank you for all the comfort food. I still have some left in my loot bag. My brothers made me laugh hard during their visit (Ahehehe. Somebody's picture in Gin's phone).
Now I'm healing quite well. Although I haven't been allowed by Alfred to drive or carry heavy stuff just yet. We got the biopsy results yesterday! All 3 growths are BENIGN no malignancy detected. What I have is fibroadenoma. We felt a heavy and dark cloud was just lifted from above us. Somebody up there is definitely watching over me! Now I have to be diligent in monitoring. Every 3-4 mos breast ultrasound is recommended. Thank you so much for all your prayers! You guys really made me feel LOVED.

I went back to work last week. Although I still feel some throbbing pain once in a while (like when I get tired, or when my students get a bit testy and I have to make my voice loud and firm). I received beautiful handmade cards from the grade 1A class, flowers and lots of hugs and well wishes from my colleagues and students.

No comments: